Latest posts by TDM News Room (see all)
- En Masse Entertainment teams up with Twitch for tons of free stuff across all of its games - March 22, 2019
- AI: THE SOMNIUM FILES OUT ON JULY 25 WORLDWIDE - March 22, 2019
- Super Phantom Cat is Now Live on Nintendo Switch - March 22, 2019
The following is a press release by Steel Wool Studios
The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth Launches Today on Steam Early Access
Immerse Yourself in Epic Turn-Based Battles as the Warhammer 40,000 Universe Conquers VR with Cross-Platform PC Play
OAKLAND, Calif. (Feb. 27, 2018) – Steel Wool Studios is thrilled to announce the release of The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth, now live on Steam Early Access — the first Warhammer 40k game that challenges you to command Ultramarine Legionnaires and defend the Imperium in larger-than-life Virtual Reality. Experience The Horus Heresy with an original narrative, characters and conflict from esteemed Black Library author, Rob Sanders. Horus Heresy fans around the world can finally feel like they are really there and master the ultimate living battlefield in a “human-scale” interactive experience.
The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth is a tactical turn-based strategy game based on Games Workshop’s fan-favorite Betrayal at Calth tabletop game, set during the Horus Heresy era. Betrayal at Calth includes a single-player campaign and multiplayer PvP skirmish mode, built for VR and also available with cross-platform play on PC.
Set in the 31st Millennium on the planet of Calth, you play as Magos Ohmnal Sarc, a tech priest of the Mechanicus caught in conflict as Brother Legions of Space Marines take arms against one another. When Sarc discovers corrupted data in the data stream, he must tactically command his unit of noble Ultramarines against a faction of traitorous Word Bearers. Out-wit and thwart their devious plot to corrupt the Imperium and disrupt the future of mankind.
Early Access unfolds the devious initial chapter of a sprawling five-part campaign. Single-player mode includes a five-map narrative where players control units of Space Marine Legionaries and guide them through the underground arcologies of Calth. PvP Multiplayer has four maps and two play modes (Deathmatch and Objective Based). Pick your side and play either as the Ultramarines or the traitorous Word Bearers. Proceeding updates to include new chapters with new maps, weapons, abilities and units.
“Steam Early Access lets us roll out an evolving narrative and tons of gameplay depth and strategies over the coming months,” said Joshua Qualtieri, Co-Founder and Head of Development at Steel Wool Studios. “And, it gives us the chance to embrace the feedback from core-Warhammer gamers. We’ve already made significant upgrades from the support of our Live Alpha program, including speeding up the gameplay, new unit commands that includes shooting while moving abilities, and visual and UX enhancements to the PC mode.”
The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth launches with a limited-time price discount of $24.99, a special 17% launch discount from the regular $29.99 price. All players will have the option to play either in stand-up VR systems or on gaming PCs. Supported systems at launch are HTC Vive and Oculus Touch.
- VR Mode: “Human-scale” view allows you to come face-to-chest with lifesize Space Marines. Combat sequences give players the feeling of being on the battlefield during 40k action. A world first VR game set in the Horus Heresy.
- Single-Player Campaign: 24 combat scenarios. With five at Early Access launch. The story progresses linearly and each level presents unique challenges intertwined with the drama of the narrative.
- Multiplayer Skirmish Mode: Players can play either as the Ultramarines and Word Bearer factions. Units include Legionnaires, Terminators, Dreadnoughts and a cast of characters armed with everything from Bolters to multi-meltas to assault cannons. More character classes will be added up until the final game release.
- Cross-Platform Multiplayer Matchmaking: Bring the full arsenal of your chosen Legion to bear against friends with private matches or against opponents across the world. Competitive PvP pits you against players on VR or PC. As a turn-based skirmish, VR versus PC provides no gameplay advantages, only differing user experiences of the world.
Follow The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth
- Website: betrayalatcalth.com
- Steam: (Game Page)
- YouTube: (Playlist)
- Facebook: facebook.com/calthgame
- Twitter: twitter.com/calthgame
- Instagram: instagram.com/calthgame
- Reddit: reddit.com/r/betrayalatcalth